Sixth Year of Fitch Robotics; Third Year of the Aluminum Falcons
This was definitely an exciting year for the Aluminum Falcons. Combined with our highest student membership yet and a highly motivated student body this was an amazingly successful build season for FIRST Team 2168. Primed coincidentally by our Aim High game mock kick off, we were able to develop a game strategy quickly and begin development on our design. Right from the start the Aluminum Falcons were ready to rebound and rumble.
Already an initial success here is early footage of our 2012 robot during the Final Rounds of Suffield Shakedown. From being alliance third picks to becoming first seeded alliance captain twice, playing in the first seeeded alliance four times, and winning three offseason events, Aluma Fett is our most successful robot to date.
- Dubbed "Fat Swan" for its robust design and curved superstructure. A fixed height shooter with a two position hood was used as the primary method of scoring for the superstructure on this 2012 robot. Tuned by our programmers Aluma Fett is able to shoot in the high and middle basket with a high accuracy rate. Pnuematics were also used again this year for the two position hood, the lift/hooper, and bridge manipulator. The back panel of Aluma Fett serves a dual purpose as a hopper and device for the human player to load balls into it. Produced in Solidworks, and fabricated by Hillery, sheetmetal was primarily used in the construction of the chassis and superstructure.
- Size: 26" x 34" x ~50"
- Weight: ~118lbs
- Drivetrain: 8WD, 5" Colsons, Dead Axles, #35 Chain, 4 CIMS, AM Shifters geared for ~5fps/~12fps
- Lift: 2 BB550s, Custom Spur Gearbox (Cim-Sim/Toughbox internals), 2" Rollers w/ Black Roughtop Grooves, 1/4" Clear Round Urethane Belt, Back Opens Pnuematically To Become a Hopper
- Shooter: 2 FP 0673s, Custom Spur Gearbox, (2) 6" Colsons, Two Position Pnuematic Adjustable Hood
- Bridge Manipulator: Single large bore Pnuematic, 4" Colson Wheel
- Balance Manipulator: A single large bore pnuematic with a ball castor (added for CTR)
- Base Driver: Tim Entwistle (Senior)
- Operator: Niral Patel (Senior)
- Human Player: Finian O' Connor (Freshman)
- Coach: Josh Miller (Mentor)
- Head Scout: Zoë Yopp (Senior)
CAD Designer(s): Matt Gentry (Senior)
- 2012 Suffield Shakedown Scrimmage - Highest Score
- 2012 Suffield Shakedown Scrimmage - Most Impressive Autonomous
- 2012 Suffield Shakedown Scrimmage - Winners (2168, 176, 716)
- 2012 New York City Regional - #1 Seed, (10-2-0), Semifinalists (2168, 1676, 329)
- 2012 New York City Regional - Innovation in Control Award
- 2012 Northeast Utilities FIRST Connecticut Regional - #1 Seed, (12-3-0), Semifinialists (2168, 118, 2791)
- 2012 WPI Battlecry 13 - Victors (2168, 1519, 125), #2 Seed (15-1-0)
- 2012 Beantown Blitz - Semifinalists (2168, 125, 4048)
- 2012 Beantown Blitz - Mentor Champions (2168, 125, 78)
- 2012 Indiana Robotics Invitational - Semifinalists (2168, 341, 2056, and 148)
- 2012 Bash@theBeach - Victors (2168, 1124, 3462)
- 2012 Rah Cha Cha Ruckus - Finalists (2168, 610, 1559)
The 2012 Competition was Rebound Rumble
See our 2012 stats at The Blue Alliance